These go great with a stir-fry or as a finger food for a party.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced thinly
- Half a head of green cabbage (or 1/4th green and 1/4th purple cabbage), shredded
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
Fill and roll the egg roll wrappers, using 1 tablespoon of filling for each roll. Working with 1 wrapper at a time, place the wrapper with one corner of the diamond closest to you. Wet the edges with water. Place 1 teaspoon of the filling in the center of the wrapper. Roll the corner closest to you over the filling. Brush the top corner with water. Fold in the sides and continue rolling the egg roll up until it is closed. Press to seal, set aside, and continue with the remaining ingredients.
In a wok set over moderately high heat, heat the remaining oil and saute the egg rolls until golden brown on all sides, using tongs to turn them.
Serve when cool enough to eat, with soy or dipping sauce.
- 1/3 cup lite soy sauce
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Pinch of red pepper flakes