· 2-3 large chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, chopped into bite size pieces
· 1 large yellow onion, peeled & sliced
· 1-2 large carrots, peeled & sliced
· 2 celery stalks, chopped
· 4-5 medium red potatoes, chopped
· 1-2 zucchini, sliced
· 1-2 yellow crookneck squash, sliced
· 1 cup frozen corn
· 1 can kidney beans, drained (optional)
· 1 can stewed tomatoes
· bay leaf/salt/pepper/chili powder to taste
1. Place chicken, onion, celery, salt and pepper in a 10 quart stock pot. Fill pot with water until ingredients are fully covered and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 1/2 hour or until chicken is tender.
2. Add the rest of ingredients to pot and increase temperature to medium heat. Be sure to add additional water if ingredients are not fully covered (you can also add a can of chicken stock if you prefer not to use your own seasonings). Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes.
Note: After cooling, this soup freezes well.